Policies on Conflict of Interest
University policy must comply with State and Federal external requirements.
- Public Health Service (PHS) regulations, which apply to PHS-sponsored research (PHS subsumes the National Institute of Health, the Center for Disease Control, and other federal health agencies)
NIH Conflict of interest Resources page
- NSF COI Policy
- The Michigan Conflict of Interest Statute (Public Act 317 of 1968)
University of Michigan policies
Additionally, several U-M policy statements are applicable to faculty and staff members in the area of conflict of interest:
- Policy for Identification and Management of Financial Conflicts of Interest [pdf]
- Policy on Institutional Conflict of Interest in Clinical Trials of Drugs, Devices, or Biologics Supported by University Start-up Companies
- SPG 201.65-1 Conflicts of Interest and Conflicts of Commitment [pdf]
- SPG 201.65-0 Work Outside the University [pdf]
- An implementing policy statement, published in the Faculty
Handbook, specifies a limit on the number of
days of outside compensated activity--the maximum permitted
being four days per month.
Link to Faculty Handbook Sec. 9.6: Conflict of Interest
- SPG 303.04 Revised Policy on Intellectual Properties: Including their Disclosure, Commercialization and Distribution of Revenues from Royalties and Sale of Equity Interest [pdf]
- SPG 601.3-2 Policy on Ownership of Copyrighted Works Created at or in Affiliation with the University of Michigan
- SPG 201.85 Special Stipends (form G's) [pdf]
- Regents Bylaw Sec. 1.13. Business Transactions
- Regents Bylaw Sec. 1.14. Regental and Executive-Senior Officer Conflict of Interest Policy (revised September 1994)
- Regents Bylaw Sec. 2.16. Gifts to Regents and University Employees
- Regents Bylaw 5.12 Outside Employment
Faculty seeking assistance in preparing the materials required for Regental review and approval may contact ORSP.
NOTE: In recognition of the unique access
which UMOR, ORSP, and Tech Transfer staff have to information, and
the special obligations we have to our faculty clients
and to the University, the staffs of UMOR, ORSP, and Tech Transfer
adhere to a policy which provides guidance with regard
to their own conflict of interest issues.
View Conflict of Interest Policy for UMOR, ORSP and Tech Transfer