Beginning June 25, the regional campuses in Flint and Dearborn will use unique DUNS numbers to apply for external funding from federal agencies and other sponsors that utilize the DUNS. (Historically, all applications to external sponsors have used the DUNS number for the Ann Arbor campus.)
Here's what's changing:
- UM-Dearborn and UM-Flint campuses will become eligible to apply as separate institutions (i.e., without competing against UM-Ann Arbor for an institutionally-designated nomination) for most Limited Submissions. UMOR will coordinate separate Limited Submission competitions for each campus, and PIs will need to follow the established UMOR process for the limited submission.
- Faculty profiles in sponsor systems can now reflect your official primary campus affiliation (e.g Ann Arbor, UM-Dearborn, UM-Flint). Updates to individual accounts/profiles in certain sponsor systems (e.g. NSF, NIH) will be necessary to properly affiliate you with our campus. You will receive a separate communication with instructions if action is required on your part.
- Institutional eligibility will be more clear (e.g, to funders who publish opportunities targeted to primarily undergraduate institutions) for proposals from UM-Flint and UM-Dearborn.
Here’s what will not change:
- Faculty will continue to work with staff in their own Offices of Research (whether Ann Arbor, Dearborn, or Flint) to follow the current Proposal Approval Form (PAF) submission process through eResearch.
- All three campuses remain as one legal entity, sharing the same EIN number and policies governing approval and signatures.
- Proposal approval and award management still goes through ORSP in Ann Arbor, which will remain the Authorized Institutional Representative and signing authority.
- Collaborations among faculty on any of the three campuses will require only one PAF, using the DUNS number of the administrative home unit (if a DUNS number is required.)
- Collaborations among faculty on any of the three campuses will not require a separate subaward from the sponsor
- DUNS numbers are recorded within each sponsor's system and in most cases this will be managed by the administrators handling your submission, so we expect this conversion process to be largely transparent to proposers. If exceptions arise, ORSP in Ann Arbor will provide guidance for working with individual sponsors to establish our unique DUNS number in their records.
For quick reference, the DUNs numbers are:
- Ann Arbor - 073133571
- Dearborn - 782738207
- Flint - 085043891
You can always find the DUNS numbers on our Frequently Required Proposal Data page.
- For Dearborn, contact Pat Turnbull or email firstname.lastname@example.org.
- For Flint, contact Ken Sylvester or email email@example.com.