You are here
Following is a list of documents and data that are frequently required by sponsors in your proposals.
- Name: Regents of the University of Michigan
- Forms Address: Use ORSP so that paperwork comes to us: 3003 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1274
- Official Address: 3014 Fleming, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1340
- About: A shareable paragraph about the University of Michigan
- CEO/ President: Dr. Mark S. Schlissel, email@example.com
- Financial Officer: Debora L. Talley
- Fiscal Office: Pete Gerard
- Principal Public Information Officer: Rick Fitzgerald, Assistant Vice President for Public Affairs, firstname.lastname@example.org
- County: Washtenaw (Ann Arbor & campus)
- Congressional District: 12th (Ann Arbor & campus)
- Incorporated in: Michigan
- Date of incorporation: 1817
- Type of organization: non-profit, educational institute.
- In 1963, Article VIII § 5 of the Constitution of (the State of) Michigan recognized the State Regents of U-M. Also see Articles recognizing University of Michigan, with certification seal (Act 151 of 1851 or MCL 390).
- Number of employees (faculty and staff): 51,480 (as of Nov 2020). See current Tableau Data from U-M Human Resources under "Faculty and Staff Profile by Headcount and FTE." After opening the page, click on the "Summary" tab in the upper right.
- Additional headcounts are available in the Michigan Almanac.
- Operating Activities/Total revenue: $9,279 million (See Finance Annual Reports)
- Tax ID Number or Employer Identification Number (TIN/EIN)
- 10-Digit: 38-6006309 IRS Tax Exempt Number (aka Federal Employer ID)
- 12-Digit: 1386006309A1
- ASAP Identification (Automated Standard Application for Payments): 2614799
- DUNS Numbers and Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) codes and System for Award Management (SAM) expirations:
- 073133571 (Ann Arbor) - CAGE code: 03399 - SAMS Exp. 10/2/2021
- 782738207 (Dearborn) - CAGE code: 1PBE1 - SAMS Exp. 02/23/2022
- 085043891 (Flint) - CAGE code: 5STD7 - SAMS Exp. 3/12/2022
- For lookup, go to SAMS website, click on Search Record using Cage Code #(see above) or DUNS# (see above) to access U-M information, expiration date, etc.
- Choose View Details and Reps & Certs to download the FARs or DFARs.
- Editable W-9 (Editable PDF requires U-M login so that you can may add a current date) from U-M Tax Website
- IRS Determination Letter, Exemption Certificates, and Subsequent Letters reinforcing U-M as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization - (Includes recent year (2015), 1973, and October 4, 1961)
- NAICS Association Code: 611310
- NPI: Institutional National Provider Identifier (NPI) Number: 1003878539 (main U-M hospital NPI)
- Federal Interagency Committee on Education (FICE) Institution Code: 009092
- European Commission Participant Identification Code (PIC): 999843603
- NSF Institutional Codes
- All campuses (Ann Arbor, Medical, Dearborn, Flint): 0023259000
- OMB Uniform Guidance Subpart F AnnualAudits - (formerly A-133 Annual Audit Reports)
Animal Care and Use
- Most recent AAALAC Accreditation Date: November 30, 2020
- PHS Assurance Number: D16-00072 (A3114-01), Assurance Dates: July 2017 - July 2021
- USDA Registration Number: 34-R-0001, Last Inspection Date: September 16, 2020
- DHHS Date of Compliance: Misconduct in Science 2/28/1996
- Radiation Safety NRC numbers: UM 21-00215-04 and VA 21-00159-04
Government Approval Letters
- Government Approval of our Property System (from Office of Naval Research)
- Government Approval of our Accounting System (from DHHS Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)
- Government Approval of our Contractor Purchasing System (from Office of Navy) (Updated Jan. 15, 2021)
Harassment and Discrimination
- Institutional Letter of Support in regard to Sexual Harassment Requirements (Required for NIH Training applications)
- Higher Learning Commission Accreditation
- An accreditation letter can be generated from the Provost's office HLC web page. Follow the prompts to generate a letter with today's date stamp.
- Human Subjects Protection Assurance # [DHHS] aka Federal Wide Assurance # FWA 00004969 (See NIH OHRP Website for the official source of expiration as the date changes frequently.)
- Enter either the number or the institutional name exactly as "U Michigan" in the search box to get the current info.
International Traffic and Arms (ITAR) Registrations
See your ORSP Project Representative if you need to verify or confirm an ITAR registration.
- Cognizant Audit Office:
Department of Health and Human Services
Program Support Center, Financial Management1301 Young Street | Room 732
Dallas, TX 75202
Phone: (214) 767-3261
Fax: (214) 767-3264
Branch Chief - Colleges & Universities, Hospitals, and Nonprofit Organizations:
Matthew Dito (214) 767-3764
Office of Naval Research (ONRRO) - Chicago
Chicago Regional Office
230 South Dearborn, Room 380
Chicago, IL 60605-1595
Cost Accounting Standards Disclosure Statement (DS 2)
July 19, 2018, DS-2 Approval Letter (PDF) - Federal guidelines require the university to maintain an approved disclosure statement (DS-2) on file with the Department of Health and Human Services. The DS-2 is a description of the university's accounting and management practices.
DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency)
Director of Contracts
1523 W. Central Rd
Arlington Heights IL 60005
DCAA (Defense Contract Audit Agency)
Program Support Center, Financial Management
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
1301 Young Street | Room 732
Dallas, TX 75202
Phone: (214) 767-3261
Fax: (214) 767-3264
DHHS Division of Cost Allocation
- Subrecipient 3B Attachment (from FDP 2017 - Partially completed with U-M information for FFATA reporting)
Other Campus Resources
- Proposal Routing Checklist (from Research Administration Schools Committee)
- Foundation Relations Toolkit (Diversity Table, Fact Sheet, and other resources)
- Office of Budget and Planning - University Profile and Almanac