You are here
Following is a list of documents and data that are frequently required by sponsors in your proposals.
- Name: Regents of the University of Michigan
- Forms Address: Use ORSP so that paperwork comes to us: 3003 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1274
- Official Address: 3014 Fleming, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1340
- About: A shareable paragraph about the University of Michigan
- CEO/ President: Dr. Mark S. Schlissel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Officer: Debora L. Talley
- Fiscal Office: Pete Gerard
- County: Washtenaw (Ann Arbor & campus)
- Congressional District: 12th (Ann Arbor & campus)
- Incorporated in: Michigan
- Date of incorporation: 1817
- Type of organization: non-profit, educational institute.
- The Regents of U-M were recognized in 1963 by Article VIII § 5 of the Constitution of (the State of) Michigan.
- Articles recognizing University of Michigan, with certification seal (Act 151 of 1851 or MCL 390).
- Number of employees (faculty and staff): 51,269 (Source - Tableau Data from U-M Human Resources data under the link listed as "Faculty and Staff Profile by Headcount and FTE."
- Additional headcounts are available in the Michigan Almanac.
- Operating Activities/Total revenue: $8,716 million (See Finance Annual Reports)
- Tax ID Number or Employer Identification Number (TIN/EIN)
- 10-Digit: 38-6006309 IRS Tax Exempt Number (aka Federal Employer ID)
- 12-Digit: 1386006309A1
- ASAP Identification (Automated Standard Application for Payments): 2614799
- DUNS Number: 073133571
- Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) code: 03399
- Editable W-9 (Editable PDF requires U-M login so that you can may add a current date) from U-M Tax Website
- IRS Determination Letter, Exemption Certificates, and Subsequent Letters reinforcing U-M as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization - (Includes recent year (2015), 1973, and October 4, 1961)
- NAICS Association Code: 61131
- NPI: Institutional National Provider Identifier (NPI) Number: 1003878539 (main U-M hospital NPI)
- System for Award Management (SAM) Expiration Date: 08/10/2019)
(Formerly known as the CCR or Central Contractor Registry) - The official U.S. Government system, accessible to all that consolidates Central Contractor Administration and other contractor databases. Click on Search Record using Cage Code #03399 or DUNS# 073133571 to access U-M information, expiration date, etc. Choose View Details and Reps & Certs to download the FARs or DFARs.
- Federal Interagency Committee on Education (FICE) Institution Code: 009092
- European Commission Participant Identification Code (PIC): 999843603
- NSF Institutional Codes
- All campuses (Ann Arbor, Medical, Dearborn, Flint): 0023259000
Office of Finance
- U-M Office of Finance Annual Reports on Federal Awards - A-133 Annual Audit Reports (Uniform Guidance Subpart F)
Office of Research
Harassment and Discrimination
- Institutional Letter of Support in regard to Sexual Harassment Requirements (Required for NIH Training applications)
- Direct link to Letter (Updated May 15, 2019)
- Higher Learning Commission Accreditation
- Accreditation letter can be generated from the Provost's office HLC web page. Follow the prompts to generate a letter with today's date stamp.
- Human Subjects Protection Assurance # [DHHS] aka Federal Wide Assurance # FWA 00004969 (See NIH OHRP Website for official source of expiration as the date changes frequently.)
- Enter either the number or the institutional name exactly as "U Michigan" in the search box to get the current info.
Most recent AAALAC Accreditation Date: November 22, 2017
PHS Assurance Number: D16-00072 (A3114-01), Assurance Dates: July 2017 - July 2021
USDA Registration Number: 34-R-0001, Last Inspection Date: April 25, 2018
- Dept of Defense FWA - Addendum [pdf]: expires 6/13/2019
- DHHS Date of Compliance: Misconduct in Science 2/28/1996
- Radiation Safety NRC numbers: UM 21-00215-04 and VA 21-00159-04
Government Approval Letters
- Government Approval of our Property System (from Office of Naval Research) (Updated March 7, 2019)
- Government Approval of our Accounting System (from DHHS Centers for Medicare & Medicaid Services)
- Government Approval of our Contractor Purchasing System (from Office of Navy)
- Cognizant Audit Office: Department of Health and Human Services, Region V Regional Director: Jackie Garner, Telephone: (312) 886-6432 | Fax: (312) 353-4144
- c/o Office of Audit Service, 233 N. Michigan Ave., Suite 1360, Chicago, IL 60601
Office of Naval Research (ONRRO) Chicago
Chicago Regional Office
230 South Dearborn, Room 380
Chicago, IL 60605-1595
Cost Accounting Standards Disclosure Statement (DS 2)
July 19, 2018, DS-2 Approval Letter (PDF) - Federal guidelines require the university to maintain an approved disclosure statement (DS-2) on file with the Department of Health and Human Services. The DS-2 is a description of the university's accounting and management practices.
DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency) & DCAA (Defense Contract Audit Agency)
DHHS Division of Cost Allocation
- Letter of Commitment to Establish a Subrecipient Agreement
- Letter of Commitment to Establish a Subrecipient Agreement (U-M as Subrecipient)
Other Campus Resources
- Proposal Routing Checklist (from Research Administration Schools Committee)
- Foundation Relations Toolkit (Diversity Table, Fact Sheet, and other resources)
- Office of Budget and Planning - University Profile and Almanac