You are here
- A-Z Index and Glossary
- A-Z Index and Glossary
A-Z Index and Glossary
A special form of a sub-p/g that is used when investigators build equipment from purchased materials and supplies (generally excluded from indirect costs).
Facilities and Administrative Costs (F&A)
F&A, also known as "indirect costs" or overhead (e.g., electricity, central administrative services), are the real costs of university operations which are not readily assignable to a particular project. F&A rates are determined by the Uniform Guidance, 2 CFR Part 220, "Cost Principles for Educational Institutions."
- Budget and Cost Resources
- Class Codes and Definitions for Sponsored Awards
- DHHS DS-2 Approval Letter for F&A Cost Approvals Federal guidelines require the university to maintain an approved disclosure statement (DS-2) on file with the Department of Health and Human Services. The DS-2 is a description of the university's accounting and management practices. Universities submit it along with F&A cost proposals.
- Direct vs. F&A Costs
- Facilities & Administrative (F&A) Costs & Rates
- Full Recovery of Facilities & Administrative Costs
- Indirect Costs(F&A) (Finance-Sponsored Programs site)
- SOP 200.02 Indirect Cost Recovery and Waivers May 1, 2014
- Uniform Guidance Monitored Costs
FAIN Federal Award Identification Number
FAIN (Federal Award Identification Number) is the unique identifying number assigned to all federal finance awards. Since October of 2013, the Office of Management and Budget (OMB) has required all Federal Agencies to issue a FAIN to all financial assistance awards or grants.
Federal Acquisition Regulation clauses.
NSF is transitioning away from FastLane, and users are encouraged to use Research.gov.
Fastlane, a predecessor to Grants.gov, is being phased out. Read more about the transition to Research.gov.
FastLane was previously the National Science Foundation's (NSF's) electronic proposal submission and award management system and, to date, users have needed a user ID to access. They used to obtain that ID from ORSP.
New users are able to register directly through Research.gov. Existing users in FastLane will be migrated to the new system through a simple, one-time operation when signing in to FastLane or Research.gov.
FC-Search Foundation Center
Database of funding opportunities of US foundations. It is available online through U-M library electronic resources.
Financial Conflict of Interest
Food and Drug Administration
- Electronic Human Research Documentation Certification Guidance (PDF) Outlines the procedure for creating, naming, certifyng and storing electronic copies of human research documentation as required by U-M, FDA, and other reserch sponsor polices, and provides a Certified Copy coversheet template. Last updated: 06/06/2022
Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP)
The Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP) is a cooperative, non-profit association of federal research agencies, universities and the National Academy of Science's Government-University-Industry Research Roundtable aimed at reducing administrative burden on Principal Investigator and works to streamline the administration of federally sponsored research and to improve the federal/university research support relationship.
Sometimes Federal-Wide Terms and Conditions (ORSP site) are referred to as FDP because they were first established by the FDP. Now, the latest version of the Federal-Wide Terms and Conditions are available and hosted by the National Science Foundation (NSF), AND they impact all federal agencies (not just NSF).
In addition to the basic RTCs, each member federal agency has a supplemental set of agency-specific terms and conditions. A typical grant is actually covered by both the federal-wide Research Terms and Conditions (RTC) and the agency-specific terms and conditions.
- Federal Demonstration Partnership (FDP) (FDP Website)
- FDP Checklist to Determine Subrecipient or Contractor Involvement (ORSP Website)
- FDP Subrecipient Expanded Clearinghouse (ORSP Website)
- Federal Terms and Conditions/Research Terms and Conditions (RTCs) (NSF Website)
Federal Systems Integration and Management Center (http://www.gsa.gov/portal/content/104719).
Forum for Ethical Review Committees int he Asian and Western Pacific Region
FFATA: Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act
FFATA: Federal Funding Accountability and Transparency Act of 2006 or Transparency Act—Public Law 109–282, as amended by section 6202(a) of Public Law 110–252 (31 U.S.C. 6101). See https://www.fsrs.gov/
Fast Forward Medical Innovation
A proposal in its final form that includes all of the sponsored-required documents and forms. It is ready to be submitted to the sponsor.
A completed and signed PAF that includes the final proposal. The Project Team has performed the eResearch Management activity, "Finalize proposal for Submission to Sponsor."
ORSP requires that the sponsor guidelines and the following finalized parts of the proposal must be attached to the PAF in order to complete its review:
- Budget justification
- Cover page
- Draft abstract
- Facilities and other resources
- Subcontract budgets and signed letters of intent to participate
- Certifications, Representations and Assurances
- Any documents requiring an institutional signature
Financial Status Reporting
Sponsored Programs prepares the financial status report (FSR) in accordance with the Uniform Guidance (2 CFR 200). (This section was previously part of the A-110 circular). The FSR guidelines detail the complete and timely submission of financial reports and other such closeout procedures for federal grants and contracts. It covers (in part): Cash Management/Drawdown of funds, etc., Record Retention, Program Income, Procurement Standards, Property Standards, Cost Sharing, Financial Reporting.
Failure to adhere to these reporting requirements in connection with a specific grant or contract may result in the withholding by the federal agency of new awards campus-wide or the suspension of payments for costs incurred by the University on other projects funded by the agency.
Fund for Improvement of Postsecondary Education. See: http://www.ed.gov/about/offices/list/ope/fipse/.
Federal Information Security Modernization Act of 2014(link is external) (FISMA) - Learn more about external funding and information security requirements.