You are here
aiM Higher will be offered in Spring 2020.
Registration is now closed.
Spring 2020 study group schedule:
Date: TBD: Every Friday
Location: Wolverine Tower
Room 1025 (1st Floor) and
Room 5135 (5th Floor)
Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
Duration: 10 weeks prior to CRA Exam
See the list of current U-M Certified Research Administrators (CRAs)
"I found the Body of Knowledge applicable to nearly all aspects of my job and the group discussions extremely valuable for increasing my understanding of the material. I plan to encourage others to pursue CRA certification, including participation in the CRA study review."
"aiM Higher provides a variety of resources so each person can customize their preparation for the CRA exam."
"It was a true benefit to be able to have other colleagues from across the University within the group. We all have our own set of experiences that really adds to the weekly discussion. Real life examples help to enhance the Body of Knowledge."
"I love being more knowledgeable about my job and this has helped me explain federal policies to PI's in my regular work. I love having renewed respect for my profession. I love having a goal."
"Coming from another Institution that does not have a study group, I am very grateful to have it here at UM. The designated study sessions make the Body of Knowledge easier to tackle."
The aiM Higher CRA Study Group is recommended for research administrators in preparing for the Certified Research Administrator (CRA) exam. The benefits of certification:
- Validates their expertise
- Generates professional recognition
- Provides personal satisfaction
- Is an indicator of expertise and knowledge
- Increases their credibility with faculty and other administrators
- May lead to increased employment opportunities
- All can be a role model to other RAs
aiM Higher Facilitates CRA Exam Study Prep
aiM Higher is the University of Michigan guided and self-study program designed to assist research administrators in preparing for the Certified Research Administrator (CRA) exam. The aiM Higher study group is held in the fall for 10 weeks prior to the CRA exam. The program is both independent and guided study.
The aiM Higher Study Group is to prepare Research Administrators for the CRA exam that is offered by an independent certifying body, Research Administrators Certification Council (RACC). The CRA exam is rigorous, and it must be taken at a designated site and it is administered through Professional Testing Corporation. In a four-hour period, test-takers must answer 250 questions that cover the full spectrum of research administration. The curriculum covered by the exam is referred to as the "Body of Knowledge." The CRA credential means that you demonstrate a level of knowledge of all aspects of research administration.
In addition, CRA exams are offered at multiple locations. You may take the exam anytime within the testing window. The fee for the CRA exam is $385 which must be paid by the participant. Stay tuned for the 2020 CRA Spring exam date, and the application deadline date. For more information on the exam visit the CRA website.
Schedule and Requirements
Attendees for the aiM Higher study group will need to submit a Registration Form. The study group is held in the fall for 10 weeks prior to the CRA exam. The study group is both independent and guided study. The CRA exam study sessions will meet every Friday (10 weeks prior to the CRA exam date).
Study Schedule - Spring 2020 (TBD)
Location: Wolverine Tower :
- Room 1025 (this is on the 1st Floor of Wolverine Tower. Enter on the ground floor and take the elevator up to 1):
- Room 5135 (this is on the 5th Floor of Wolverine Tower. Enter on the ground floor and take the elevator up to 5).
Time: 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m. (you may bring your lunch or snacks)
Research administrators must have:
- Bachelor's Degree and three (3) years of professional experience in research or sponsored programs.
- Associate's Degree and five (5) years of professional experience in research or sponsored programs.
- No degree and six (6) years of professional experience in research or sponsored programs.*
*Please contact email@example.com if you seek letters of attestation that are required.
How to Apply for the aiM Higher Study Group
- Registration is now closed.
- All sessions will be held at Wolverine Tower.
- Ensure the applicant will be permitted time to attend a guided study group every Friday for the 10-week period prior to the CRA exam from 11:30 a.m. - 1:00 p.m.
- Approve and sign the Registration Form for CRA Study Group aiM Higher.
Selected Participant Requirements
- Attend 10-week moderated study sessions. Study sessions are scheduled weekly as one and a half hour sessions and are also available live online, but will not be recorded.
- View weekly webinars offered by Virginia Tech. Subject matters are 2 hours long, are recorded, and may be watched live or at your availability.
- Highly recommended to study several hours a week outside of the webinars and study sessions.
CRA Exam Study Offerings
The aiM Higher study group is both an independent and guided program that includes:
- Weekly webinars (online - partnered with VA Tech experts)
- Weekly moderated study sessions (in-person/online, UMich campus - various locations). Each group participant will be asked to moderate one study session.
- Guided materials to prepare you for the exam
- Practice exams
- Support from other RAs
- Daily emails (tips, study materials, encouragement)
- Quizlet group (online flashcards and testing)
We are pleased to offer study sessions to facilitate the University of Michigan Research Administrators in their studies for the CRA exam. This is a wonderful opportunity to go over materials that may appear on the exam and network with colleagues across campus.
The CRA exam is rigorous. These study sessions are not a guarantee that participants will pass the exam as the volume of material is too significant to cover. It is highly recommended that participants prepare for the exam by studying outside of the study sessions.