You are here
- About U-M
- Tax ID, W-9, and IRS Determination Letter
- SAM, UEI, DUNS, and CAGE Numbers
- Annual Reports
- Assurance and Compliance Approval Letters and Confirmations
- Cognizant Offices
- F&A Rate aka Indirect Cost Rate
- GSRA Cost Estimates
- Staff Fringe Benefits
- Other Campus Resources
- Various Codes and Downloads
Following are documents and data frequently required by sponsors for proposals.
- Name: Regents of the University of Michigan
- Forms Address: Use Wolverine Tower so that paperwork comes to us: 1st Floor Wolverine Tower, 3003 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1274
- Official Address: 1109 Geddes Ave, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1079
- About: A shareable paragraph about the University of Michigan
- CEO/ President: President Santa J. Ono, email@example.com
- Financial Officer: Debora L. Talley, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Fiscal Office: Pete Gerard
- Principal Public Information Officer: Rick Fitzgerald, Assistant Vice President for Public Affairs, email@example.com
- County: Washtenaw (Ann Arbor & campus)
- Congressional District:
UM-Ann Arbor: MI-006 (Ann Arbor & campus) - (Was MI-012)
UM-Flint: MI-008 (Was MI-005)
Source: The changes to Michigan's congressional map, district by district
- Incorporated in: Michigan
- Date of incorporation: 1817
- Type of organization: Non-profit, educational institute. This can be verified by:
- Article VIII § 5 of the Constitution of (the State of) Michigan of 1963 recognized the Regents of U-M. (State of Michigan Website)
- Same Articles recognizing U-M with a certification seal (Act 151 of 1851 or MCL 390).
- Number # of employees (faculty + staff): Number of employees (faculty + staff): 53,622 (as of Nov 2022); full time = 48,216; part time = 5,406.
See current Tableau Data from U-M Human Resources site. (Once there, scroll to "Faculty and Staff Profile by Headcount and FTE section. Expand that section. Click link to open new page. Click on the "Summary" tab in the upper left.) Also, see headcounts available in the Michigan Almanac.
- Operating Activities/Total revenue: $9,279 million (See Finance Annual Reports)
- Tax ID Number or Employer Identification Number (TIN/EIN)
- 9-Digit: 38-6006309 IRS Tax Exempt Number (aka Federal Employer ID) (Preferred number)
- 12-Digit: 1386006309A1 (Rarely requested)
- Federal Interagency Committee on Education (FICE) Institution Code: 009092
- European Commission Participant Identification Code (PIC): 999843603
- W-9 (Editable PDF - requires U-M login so that you may add a current date) (U-M Finance Tax Website)
- IRS Determination Letter, Exemption Certificates, Letters reinforcing U-M as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization Used to document the university's tax-exempt status. It is often used when receiving donations/grants. The PDF includes the most recent year available (2020), plus letters from 1973 and October 4, 1961. (U-M Finance Tax Website)
- System for Award Management (SAM) Expirations, Unique Entity ID (UEI) Numbers, DUNS, and Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) codes:
- Ann Arbor: SAM Exp. February 5, 2024, UEI GNJ7BBP73WE9, DUNS 073133571, CAGE code: 03399
- Dearborn: SAM Exp. February 1, 2024, UEI RY78VSF6P4G3, DUNS 782738207, CAGE code: 1PBE1
- Flint: SAM Exp. January 18, 2024, UEI L8QSLB2KCRE5, DUNS 085043891, CAGE code: 5STD7
- System for Award Management (SAM) Search Instructions
- To search on the SAM website, click on Search Record using Cage Code#, UEI#, or DUNS# to access U-M information, expiration date, etc.
- Choose View Details and Reps & Certs to download the FARs or DFARs.
- State of Michigan SIGMA Vendor ID Number: CV0048260
- Subrecipient Statement of Collaborative Intent
- Subrecipient 3B Attachment (from FDP - Partially completed with U-M information for FFATA reporting)
Animal Care and Use
- Most recent AAALAC Accreditation Date: November 30, 2020
- PHS Assurance Number: D16-00072 (A3114-01), Assurance Dates: July 2021 - July 2025
- DHHS Date of Compliance: Misconduct in Science: February 28, 1996
- Radiation Safety NRC numbers: UM 21-00215-04 and VA 21-00159-04
(Scroll down for Addresses and Contacts.)
- DS-2 Approval Letter (PDF)
- Government Approval of our Contractor Purchasing System (Approved by ONR - Office of Naval Research)
- Government Approval of our Property System (Approved by Office of Naval Research)
- Government Approval of our Purchasing, Property, and Accounting System (Approved by DHHS after Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) audit. *Federal sponsors should refer to our annual Single Audit.)
(Scroll up for related approval letters from these Cognizant Audit Offices. See below for F&A Rate.)
- Department of Health and Human Services
Federal guidelines require the university to maintain an approved disclosure statement (DS-2) on file with the Department of Health and Human Services, describing the university's accounting and management practices.
Cost Accounting Standards Disclosure Statement (DS-2)
Federal guidelines require U-M to maintain an approved disclosure statement (DS-2) with DHHS describing U-M accounting and management practices.
- DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency)
Director of Contracts
1523 W. Central Rd
Arlington Heights IL 60005
DCAA (Defense Contract Audit Agency)
2250 West John Carpenter Freeway
Irving, TX 75063
General Information: (571) 448-7503
Harassment and Discrimination
- Institutional Letter of Support for Anti Sexual Harassment (required for NIH Training applications) (last updated June 2022)
- Higher Learning Commission Accreditation
- An accreditation letter can be generated from the Provost's office HLC web page. Follow the prompts to generate a letter with today's date stamp.
- Human Subjects Protection Assurance # [DHHS] aka Federal Wide Assurance # FWA 00004969 (See NIH OHRP Website for the official source of expiration date as the date changes frequently.)
- Enter either the number or the institutional name exactly as "U Michigan" in the search box to get the current info.
International Traffic and Arms (ITAR) Registrations
See your ORSP Project Representative if you need to verify or confirm an ITAR registration.
- OMB Uniform Guidance - Single Audit - The annual audit for Subpart F. (Finance-Sponsored Programs Website)
- Foundation Relations Toolkit (Diversity Table, Fact Sheet, and other resources) (U-M Foundation Relations Website)
- Office of Budget and Planning - University Profile and Almanac (U-M OBP Website)
- Fringe Benefit Tables
- ASAP Identification (Automated Standard Application for Payments): 2614799
- NAICS Association Code: 611310
- NPI: Institutional National Provider Identifier (NPI) Number: 1003878539 (main U-M hospital NPI)
- NSF Institutional Codes
- All campuses (Ann Arbor, Medical, Dearborn, Flint): 0023259000
There isn't a literal certificate per se. Anyone asking externally should also have access to SAM and can look us up (i.e. federal agencies or those doing business with federal agencies). Therefore, all the sponsor needs are the date of expiration plus a UEI, DUNS, and/or CAGE Code.