You are here

Research Administrators' Toolkit

Two individuals meeting in casual setting

Without question, we recognize the impact that research has on technology and society. U-M 's contributions are significant, and strong support for sponsored research activity and creative innovation of our faculty are key to our success.

Managing the business aspects of research takes a team of experts. The process of finding funding, effectively developing a proposal, ensuring compliance and electronically submitting a proposalmanaging a project if awarded and closing out the project in a manner that furthers the research as well as reconciling the financial books and compliance milestones takes keen business acumen and expertise.

The Research Administrators' Toolkit attempts to bring some of these resources to the fingertips of those doing this important work.

While faculty researchers focus on the science, those in research administration help ensure the other business processes are met, whether it be proposal submission, managing project milestones, compliance reporting, or financials. 

References and Resources

Manage Project Resources

  • Post Award Change Request Guidelines w/ Form
  • Paying research subjects: Human Subject Incentives Program (HSIP) Human subjects often are paid a fee for their participation in research projects. Protocols for the use of human beings in research, teaching, or testing are reviewed and approved, according to federal, state and university policies. (See: Human Research Protection Program). For payment policies and details on paying subjects, see Standard Practice Guide 501.7-1. Also see the University's Human Subject Incentive Program at or email
  • Finance Budget Reallocation Process (formerly 7471 Form) Functionality to submit budget reallocations is available online using M-Pathways. (This replaces the Project Budget Allocation-Form 7471, which was phased out beginning 1/5/15.) The functionality incorporates workflow to ensure that the proper approvals are obtained per Sponsored Programs. For assistance with processing budget reallocation transaction in M-Pathways, see: Create a New Budget Reallocation in M-Pathways - Step-by-Step Procedure Approve a Budget Reallocation in M-Pathways - Step-by-Step Procedure Budget Reallocation Presentation at 11/19/2014 Unit Liaison Meeting - Recording and Powerpoint slides. If you have any questions about budget reallocations, please contact your Sponsored Programs Customer Service Coordinator.  
  • NIH/eRA Commons The eRA (electronic research administration commons) Commons website, by the National Institutes of Health (NIH), provides principal investigators and their research staff with online features and tools including the abilities to: View a full application Review current status of an application Check for errors View application assignment information Obtain PDF copies of applications Access copies of previous Notices of Grant Award Get current information on the program official and the grants management specialist
  • Communications Best Practices

    Communication Best Practices is a two-part guide to post at your desk with:

    • Part 1: General Tips  
    • Part 2: U-M Research Administration Tips -  (Help determine when to Post a Comment, when to Request ORSP Action, when to pick up the phone, and more. )

    Download and print both!

  • Request for Sponsored Sub Project/Grant(s) The new form to request new sub Project/Grants (P/Gs). Sponsored Programs, in partnership with Information Technology Services (ITS) and the RAAC Process Committee, have created this new form: Request for Sponsored Sub Project/Grant(s) along with the following tools to assist with using the new processes: My LINC Training documents (these include the basic steps for creating or approving a Budget Reallocation in M-Pathways -- including alternate approver instructions) Unit Liaison Presentation FAQs and Process Flow Diagrams
  • U-M TechTransfer Material Transfer Agreements (MTAs) and other Forms Incoming Material Transfer Agreement (MTA): A U-M researcher is requesting materials from another company (or university) or a U-M researcher requesting materials from a company (or university).Outgoing Material Transfer Agreement (MTA):  Obtain materials from U-M, or are a faculty/staff member interested in sending materials out.
  • U-M Human Resources Records and Information Services Forms HR online forms (applications, bid forms, transfers, grievances, tuition reimbursement).  
  • U-M Finance Purchase Requistion Form Used for hiring independent consultants.
  • Current and Pending Template 1 (Blank)

    Download an Excel file to help you manage current and pending support for ongoing projects.

    The file you will download contains an Excel spreadsheet. This is the version that is clean and ready for fresh use. Please note: This won't work well on a Mac; you' need to use a PC to utilize the forms. It won't solve the world's problems, but it's a start! 

    This resource is provided by the RAAC Metrics Subcommittee. 

  • Letter of Commitment to Establish Subrecipient, where U-M is Subrecipient

    Used when U-M is the subrecipient, and the institution making the subcontract needs information about U-M but doesn't have their own institutional forms.

  • Current and Pending Template 2 (Sample version with Data)

    This Excel spreadsheet has some sample current and pending data in it so you can open it for examples of forms and/or to view output without having to enter data.

    Please note: This won't work well on a Mac; you' need to use a PC to utilize the forms. It won't solve the world's problems, but it's a start! 

    This resource is provided by the RAAC Metrics Subcommittee. 

  • Sponsored Awards Web (SAW) Database
  • A to Z Index

Compliance Resources


Other Internal U-M Weblinks

Conflict of Interest/Outside Interest Disclosure Forms

  • Outside Interest Disclosure form (Word) used by individuals who are external (i.e., not affiliated with, employed by) to the U-M, but are participating on a project (e.g., investigators from a subcontracting organization; investigators on a human subjects study).

  • Letter of Commitment to Establish A Subrecipient Agreement [fillable pdf]

    A completed Letter of Commitment (LOC) is required when requesting a subcontract if the sponsor of the PAF/parent project follows the PHS financial conflict of interest regulation. Use the template below to collect the information from the subrecipient institution that UM needs to establish the subcontract, including their Conflict of Interest Policy Certification option.

  • M-Inform Disclosure System M-Inform is the university’s online outside interest disclosure system. As an employee, you use this system to complete and submit the disclosure form(s). This may include reporting that you do not have outside interests related to your employment or reporting an interest in more than one entity.

Finding Funding Resources


If you have a link or resource you'd like to recommend for inclusion in the RA Toolkit, please contact Constance Colthorp ( Thanks!