You are here
Following is a list of documents and data that are frequently required by sponsors in your proposals.
- Name: Regents of the University of Michigan
- Forms Address: Use ORSP so that paperwork comes to us: 3003 S. State Street, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1274
- Official Address: 3014 Fleming, Ann Arbor, MI 48109-1340
- About: A shareable paragraph about the University of Michigan
- CEO/ President: Dr. Mark S. Schlissel, firstname.lastname@example.org
- Financial Officer: Debora L. Talley
- Fiscal Office: Pete Gerard
- Principal Public Information Officer: Rick Fitzgerald, Assistant Vice President for Public Affairs, email@example.com
- County: Washtenaw (Ann Arbor & campus)
- Congressional District: 12th (Ann Arbor & campus)
- Incorporated in: Michigan
- Date of incorporation: 1817
- Type of organization: non-profit, educational institute. Verified by
- 1963, Article VIII § 5 of the Constitution of (the State of) Michigan, which recognized the State Regents of U-M.
- Same Articles recognizing U-M with certification seal (Act 151 of 1851 or MCL 390).
- The number of employees (faculty and staff): 51,480 (as of Nov 2020). See current Tableau Data from U-M Human Resources under "Faculty and Staff Profile by Headcount and FTE." After opening the page, click on the "Summary" tab in the upper right.
- Additional headcounts are available in the Michigan Almanac.
- Operating Activities/Total revenue: $9,279 million (See Finance Annual Reports)
- Tax ID Number or Employer Identification Number (TIN/EIN)
- 9-Digit: 38-6006309 IRS Tax Exempt Number (aka Federal Employer ID) (Preferred number)
- 12-Digit: 1386006309A1 (Rarely requested)
- Federal Interagency Committee on Education (FICE) Institution Code: 009092
- European Commission Participant Identification Code (PIC): 999843603
- W-9 (Editable PDF - requires U-M login so that you may add a current date) from U-M Tax Website
- IRS Determination Letter, Exemption Certificates, and Subsequent Letters reinforcing U-M as a 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organization - (Includes most recent year (2020), along with earlier certifications (1973 and October 4, 1961)
- System for Award Management (SAM) Expirations, Unique Entity ID (UEI) Numbers (new!), DUNS, and Commercial and Government Entity (CAGE) codes:
- Ann Arbor: SAM Exp. February 18, 2022, UEI GNJ7BBP73WE9 (new!), DUNS 073133571, CAGE code: 03399
- Dearborn: SAM Exp. February 23, 2022, UEI RY78VSF6P4G3, (new!), DUNS 782738207, CAGE code: 1PBE1
- Flint: SAM Exp. March 12, 2022, UEI L8QSLB2KCRE5, (new!), DUNS 085043891, CAGE code: 5STD7
- System for Award Management (SAM) Search Instructions
- To search on the SAM website, click on Search Record using Cage Code#, UEI#, or DUNS# to access U-M information, expiration date, etc.
- Choose View Details and Reps & Certs to download the FARs or DFARs.
- ASAP Identification (Automated Standard Application for Payments): 2614799
- NAICS Association Code: 611310
- NPI: Institutional National Provider Identifier (NPI) Number: 1003878539 (main U-M hospital NPI)
- NSF Institutional Codes
- All campuses (Ann Arbor, Medical, Dearborn, Flint): 0023259000
Animal Care and Use
- Most recent AAALAC Accreditation Date: November 30, 2020
- PHS Assurance Number: D16-00072 (A3114-01), Assurance Dates: July 2021 - July 2025
- USDA Registration Number: 34-R-0001, Last Inspection: June 30, 2021
- DHHS Date of Compliance: Misconduct in Science: February 28, 1996
- Radiation Safety NRC numbers: UM 21-00215-04 and VA 21-00159-04
(Scroll down for Cognizant Office Addresses and Contacts)
- DS-2 Approval Letter (PDF) - (Approved by DHHS Research on July 19, 2018)
- Government Approval of our Contractor Purchasing System (Approved on Jan 14, 2021, by Office of Naval Research)
- Government Approval of our Property System (Approved on July 30, 2021, by Office of Naval Research)
- Government Approval of our Purchasing, Property, and Accounting System (Approved on November 18, 2014, by DHHS after Defense Contract Audit Agency (DCAA) audit)
- Cognizant Audit Office:
Department of Health and Human Services
(Scroll up to Government Approval Letters for DS-2 and DHHS approval letters and down for F&A Rate.)
Federal guidelines require the university to maintain an approved disclosure statement (DS-2) on file with the Department of Health and Human Services, describing the university's accounting and management practices.
Program Support Center, Financial Management1301 Young Street | Room 732
Dallas, TX 75202
Phone: (214) 767-3261
Fax: (214) 767-3264
DHHS Division of Cost Allocation
Vacant - See HHS Program Support Center - Central States Offices - (214) 767-3261
DHHS Branch Chief - Colleges & Universities, Hospitals, and Nonprofit Organizations:
Matthew Dito (214) 767-3764
Cost Accounting Standards Disclosure Statement (DS 2)
(Scroll up to Government Approval Letters for DS-2 letters.)
Federal guidelines require U-M to maintain an approved disclosure statement (DS-2) with DHHS describing U-M accounting and management practices.
- DCMA (Defense Contract Management Agency)
Director of Contracts
1523 W. Central Rd
Arlington Heights IL 60005
DCAA (Defense Contract Audit Agency)
(Scroll up to Government Approval Letters for DHHS/CDAA letters.)
Program Support Center, Financial Management
U.S. Department of Health and Human Services
1301 Young Street | Room 732
Dallas, TX 75202
Phone: (214) 767-3261
Fax: (214) 767-3264
Office of Naval Research (ONR) - Chicago
(Scroll up to Government Approval Letters for ONR Government Approval letters.)
Chicago Regional Office
230 South Dearborn, Room 380
Chicago, IL 60605-1595
Harassment and Discrimination
- Institutional Letter of Support in regard to Sexual Harassment Requirements (required for NIH Training applications)
- Higher Learning Commission Accreditation
- An accreditation letter can be generated from the Provost's office HLC web page. Follow the prompts to generate a letter with today's date stamp.
- Human Subjects Protection Assurance # [DHHS] aka Federal Wide Assurance # FWA 00004969 (See NIH OHRP Website for the official source of expiration as the date changes frequently.)
- Enter either the number or the institutional name exactly as "U Michigan" in the search box to get the current info.
International Traffic and Arms (ITAR) Registrations
See your ORSP Project Representative if you need to verify or confirm an ITAR registration.
- Subrecipient Statement of Collaborative Intent
- Subrecipient 3B Attachment (from FDP 2017 - Partially completed with U-M information for FFATA reporting)
- OMB Uniform Guidance Subpart F Annual Audits - (formerly A-133) (Finance-Sponsored Programs Website)
- Foundation Relations Toolkit (Diversity Table, Fact Sheet, and other resources) (U-M Foundation Relations Website)
- Office of Budget and Planning - University Profile and Almanac (U-M OBP Website)
- Fringe Benefit Tables
There isn't a literal certificate per se. Anyone asking externally should also have access to SAM and can look us up (i.e. federal agencies or those doing business with federal agencies). Therefore, all the sponsor needs are the date of expiration plus a UEI, DUNS, and/or CAGE Code.