You are here

Manage Project

Who Does What?Who does what when managing an awarded project?  

Not sure how to manage an AWD in eRPM?

Understanding Pre-Award and Post-Award


University of Michigan Research Project Life Cycle

To ensure the awarded project is successful, compliant, and eligible for additional funding, the research administrator (RA) will manage the budget and may be responsible for managing subcontracts handling students such as Graduate Student Research Assistants (GSRAs) and other personnel assigned to the project. Specific reporting requirements by sponsors, such as the National Institute of Health (NIH), may be considered here.

Other Pages in this Section


See Award Change Request (ACR) for each of these:


Ethics & Compliance


Changing the Department ID

Finance-Sponsored Programs Support for Post-Award Administration

  • Customer Service: Manages the Project/Grant Lifecycle and Rules and Compliance questions
  • Reporting: Manages Research Reporting to meet sponsor guidelines and reconciles A-21 issues
  • Funds Request:
    • Handles Project Billings and Receivables
    • Funds Distribution and handles any special billings and the reconciliation of the various federal letters of credit that are used to fund projects.
  • Office of Contract Administration: Responsible for reviewing and signing contracts and grants associated with sponsored projects, preparing and administering Subcontracts
  • The Finance-Sponsored Programs customer service area is the main contact area for Post Award Administration. Their customer service coordinators are assigned to each of your departments. 

Financial Reporting (Uniform Guidance)

Sponsored Programs prepares the financial status report (FSR) in accordance with the Uniform Guidance (2 CFR 200) (formerly OMB Circular A-110). The Uniform Guidance guidelines set forth detailed requirements with respect to the complete and timely submission of financial reports and other such closeout procedures for federal grants and contracts. Failure to adhere to these reporting requirements in connection with a specific grant or contract may result in the withholding new awards by a federal agency --  campus-wide or the suspension of payments for costs incurred by the University on other projects funded by the agency.


References and Resources

  • Types of Agreements At any point of a research project you may need a Material Transfer Agreement (MTA), a Non-Disclosure Agreement (NDA), a Data Use Agreement (DUA) or another type of "unfunded agreement" (UFA). 

"Who Does What?" Roles and Responsibilities in the U-M Research Project Lifecycle


Award Management Questions for ORSP

Award Management Questions for Finance - Sponsored Programs