You are here
The following guidelines are applicable in connection with administrative support costs, including clerical personnel, currently being charged as direct costs in federally sponsored grants and contracts.
- If an administrative or clerical position meets all of the requirements of §200.413 in the Uniform Guidance (regarding Direct Costs), was included in a project budget, as submitted to and approved by the sponsoring agency, such direct charges can continue to be made (at the appointment levels indicated in the approved budget) for the duration of the project. The requirements of §200.413 include:
- The administrative or clerical services are integral to a project or activity;
- Individuals involved can be specifically identified with the project or activity;
- Such costs are explicitly included in the budget or have the prior written approval of the Federal awarding agency; and
- The costs are not also recovered as indirect costs.
- If an administrative or clerical position was not included in a Federal sponsor’s approved budget, the prior approval of the Federal sponsor is required.
- Operating support costs, such as telephone line charges and office supplies, if explicitly identified in the budget as submitted to and approved by the sponsoring agency, can continue to be made for the duration of the project. The charges must be for “unlike circumstances” and be clearly linked to the specific aims of the project (for example, a line item for "communications" may not be sufficient to justify telephone line charges).