You are here

Extended Sick Time Pay & Leave and Paid Parental Leaves

The University of Michigan (U-M) has policies in place for paid maternity and parental leaves as of September 1, 2018. Please visit the HR website and SPG 201.30-6 for more information on these policies and related HR processes. Also see the Summary Guide of Time-off Options for New Parents

This Extended Leave page outlines the steps that must be taken by faculty, staff, postdocs, and research fellows who request a leave while paid by sponsored funds (codes 20000 and 25000). 

The U-M Office of Research (UMOR) provides internal funds for extended sick time pay and leave for employees paid from sponsored funds. Charges related to Extended Sick Time Pay (staff and faculty) and Extended Leave (research fellows) are not allowable expenses on sponsored funds. The University maintains a central fund to cover these charges.

For Employees Paid From Sponsored Funds

Charges related to Extended Sick Time Pay (staff and faculty). Extended Leave (postdoctoral research fellows) and Maternity and Parental Leaves (staff, faculty, and postdoctoral research fellows) are typically not allowable expenses on sponsored funds. The University maintains a central fund to cover these charges. Note this is not applicable to individuals appointed to the Non-Instructional Sponsored Pool Account.

For those with an Impending Leave

  1. Schedule Leave - Work with supervisor & unit regarding when/how to schedule leave 
    • Michigan Medicine, Medical School, Flint, & Dearborn, you must work with your unit HR office
  2. Notify Work Connections - For any leave (medical) people paid on sponsored funds are required to go through Work Connections
  3. Notify Sponsor and Obtain Prior Approval - The Principal Investigator may need to contact sponsor which may have requirements to notify them or seek their approval for a change in plans related to a leave. 
    • Typically sponsors require notification. Seek their approval for reducing planned effort by >25% or for time away from the project for > 3 months for key personnel and possibly complete a Post-Award Change Request (PACR).
  4. Secure Reimbursement - UMOR can reimburse your unit with funds from UMOR Pool account. 
  5. Retroactive Salary Transfers - For those who need a retroactive salary transfer, units can submit a "Request for Salary Transfer" form to the University Payroll Office. You only have 120 days from each leave instance to do this. Also note that there are different forms for Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Faculty members.

1. Eligibility Requirements

The qualifying illness/injury or pregnancy must be communicated by the University's Work Connections program, which provides authorization forms and confidential management of the event/condition while verifying the qualifying medical disability. 

Work Connections will verify the qualifying medical disability, expected duration of absence and any work restrictions, and inform the employing unit which will determine the eligibility for the use of the Extended Sick Time, Extended Leave, or Maternity Leave.

The authority to grant Extended Sick Time pay/Extended Leave and Maternity Leave is a unit's responsibility.

The employee is required to submit appropriate medical documentation to Work Connections.

2. Implementation

a. Employees in the time and labor system (Staff, Research Faculty, Archivists, Curators, and Librarians)

Employees in the time and labor system submit biweekly or monthly time reports to record their exception time. Extended Sick Time, Maternity Leave and Parental Leave, once approved by the unit, is recorded using the following time reporting/earnings codes:

  • ESF - Extended Sick Full Pay
  • ESH - Extended Sick Half Pay
  • ESF/ESY - Extended Sick Full Pay (Nurses)
  • ESH/ESX - Extended Sick Half Pay (Nurses)
  • ESP - Extended Sick Two-Thirds Pay
  • MRL - Maternity Leave
  • PRL - Parental Leave

b. Employees not in the time and labor system (Instructional Faculty, Clinical Faculty, and Postdoctoral Research Fellows

Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Faculty do not submit time sheets so no exception time is recorded. The employing unit must request a retroactive salary transfer by submitting a "Request for Salary Transfer" form to the University Payroll Office, if needed.

These requests must be submitted in compliance with the U-M Finance's Retroactive Salary guidelines. If the Extended Sick Leave, Maternity Leave, and/or Parental Leave is expected to exceed 120 days from the original journal date of the general ledger transaction, a "Request for Salary Transfer" forms will need to be submitted before 120 days of each leave instance to remain compliant with these guidelines. Please note that there are separate forms for Postdoctoral Research Fellows and Faculty.  

3. Oversight

On a regular basis, the University will audit the individuals paid from the central fund against Work Connections' verifications of disability to ensure policy compliance. In instances of non-compliance the costs will be transferred to the employing unit. 

Note - the employing unit is responsible for ensuring that all other HR actions associated with Extended Sick Time Pay (staff and faculty), Extended Leave (research fellows), and Maternity and Parental Leaves (staff, faculty, and research fellows) are performed in a timely manner (e.g. Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) notification). 

For more information please see the following Standard Practice Guide Policies:


Feel free to direct questions to Rebekah Ashley of the U-M Office of Research.
(734) 764-5409