You are here

Other Support Reporting - NIH

Looking for NSF or Other Sponsor Requirements?


Research investigators need to report Other Support/Pending Support to funding agencies per NIH and the University of Michigan.  

See more resources below under References and Resources.

Tip: In some cases, part of this information on Other Support may have already been disclosed in M-Inform. To facilitate completing the Other Support template, the discloser may want to log in to M-Inform and utilize the "Print View" function to view and print all their outside interests. 

  • Log into M-Inform
  • Select the disclosure record from the applicable tab on the home workspace to open the disclosure form.
  • Under the Edit Disclosure menu on the left, click Print View
  • In the Print View, click Print at the top of the page.

Researchers who receive any federal funding are reminded that the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects’ standard operating policy SOP 200.03 requires:

National Institutes of Health

“every disclosure to an external funding agency of a faculty member’s active and pending sources of support for research and other sponsored activities be true, complete and accurate to the best of the faculty member's knowledge. This requirement applies regardless of the source of support, [or] the official recipient of the source of support…  False, fictitious, or fraudulent statements or claims (including intentional omissions) in violation of this policy may result in criminal, civil, administrative or University penalties.”

The National Institutes of Health (NIH), in particular, released an update to the NIH Grants Policy Statement in 2019 that clarifies “Other Support” reporting requirements. NIH stated that resources requiring disclosure as “Other Support” include:

all resources made available to researcher[s] or senior key personnel in support of and/or related to all of their research endeavors, regardless of whether or not they have monetary value and regardless of whether they are based at the institution, the researcher identifies for the current grant. Other support does not include training awards, prizes, gifts or startup support from the U.S. based institution.”

NIH requires disclosure of all financial and non-financial resources to which a faculty member may have direct or indirect access, including but not limited to research-related grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements (regardless of the legal recipient), as well as non-U-M appointments/positions and in-kind resources provided by non-U-M entities that are not freely available to other researchers (e.g., laboratory equipment, research materials, lab personnel, etc.).

In order to comply with NIH policy, keep in mind the following key concepts when submitting “Other Support” information (e.g., in Just-In-Time materials, Research Performance Progress Reports, etc.):

  1. “Other Support” encompasses all of the resources that you have access to – not just the grants and contracts that support your research, with limited exceptions as specifically outlined by NIH.
  2. “Other Support” includes resources that do not have a dollar value attached to them (AKA “in-kind”), as well as resources that do have monetary value.
  3. “Other Support” includes resources that are related to your research, in addition to the resources that directly support your research.
  4. “Other Support” also includes resources that are not received through 
    U-M, including those received in the U.S. as well as those received in other countries outside the U.S.

How to Comply

Other Support must be disclosed according to the requirements in the NIH Grants Policy Statement. To assist in understanding NIH’s guidance, the Office of Research and Sponsored Projects (ORSP) has developed an “Other Support” template and an “Other Support” template with examples and the following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).

Download NIH Other Support FAQs (PDF)

References and Resources

Forms/Checklists/Templates/Job Aids

ORSP Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs)


For further questions and assistance, please email or contact Craig Reynolds, Assistant Vice President for Research-Sponsored Projects, Office of Research and Sponsored Projects, at 734-647-9887 or
For questions regarding reporting Outside Interests in M-Inform, please contact for assistance from a U-M COI Office (UMOR COI, MEDCOI).

For questions about the Other Support reporting process, contact ORSP.  Main Phone: (734) 764-5500 answered 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.