You are here
Looking for NSF or Other Sponsor Requirements?
Templates & Resources
- NIH Other Support Website & Forms
- Other Support FAQs (ORSP)
- Current & Pending and Other Support Template (blank version) (RAAC Metrics)
- Current & Pending and Other Support Template (sample data version) (RAAC Metrics)
Tip: In some cases, part of this information on Other Support may have already been disclosed in M-Inform. To facilitate completing the Other Support template, the discloser may want to log in to M-Inform and utilize the "Print View" function to view and print all their outside interests.
- Log into M-Inform
- Select the disclosure record from the applicable tab on the home workspace to open the disclosure form.
- Under the Edit Disclosure menu on the left, click Print View
- In the Print View, click Print at the top of the page.
NIH requires disclosure of all financial and non-financial resources to which a faculty member may have direct or indirect access, including but not limited to research-related grants, contracts, and cooperative agreements (regardless of the legal recipient), as well as non-U-M appointments / positions and in-kind resources provided by non-U-M entities that are not freely available to other researchers (e.g., laboratory equipment, research materials, lab personnel, etc.).
NOTE: On March 12, 2021, National Institutes of Health (NIH) issued NOT-OD-21-073 that introduces new requirements for Other Support reporting and Biographical Sketches (Biosketches) included in proposals and Research Performance Progress Reports (RPPRs) submitted on or after May 25, 2021. These changes may require additional time on your part when preparing your NIH proposal or RPPR. See: News Update.
In order to comply with NIH policy, keep in mind the following key concepts when submitting “Other Support” information (e.g., in Just-In-Time materials, Research Performance Progress Reports, etc.):
- “Other Support” encompasses all of the resources that you have access to – not just the grants and contracts that support your research, with limited exceptions as specifically outlined by NIH.
- “Other Support” includes resources that do not have a dollar value attached to them (AKA “in-kind”), as well as resources that do have monetary value.
- “Other Support” includes resources that are related to your research, in addition to the resources that directly support your research.
- “Other Support” also includes resources that are not received through
U-M, including those received in the U.S. as well as those received in other countries outside the U.S.
- Other Support includes a faculty member’s private outside consulting if research is being conducted as part of the consulting activities.
- New: Per NOT-OD-21-073, for submissions due on or after May 25, 2021, each senior/key person must electronically sign their respective Other Support forms.
- New: Per NOT-OD-21-073, for submissions due on or after May 25, 2021, each senior/key person must provide copies of a) foreign contracts, b) foreign grants, and c) any other agreements specific to foreign appointments, affiliations, and/or employment with a foreign institution. English-language translations must be provided for any original documentation that is not in English.
- New: Per NOT-OD-21-073, project teams must immediately notify ORSP of undisclosed Other Support information that was missing at Just-In-Time (JIT) or with an RPPR. Do not wait until the next RPPR.
ORSP SOP 200.03
Research investigators need to report Other Support/Pending Support to funding agencies per NIH and the University of Michigan. Office of Research and Sponsored Projects’ standard operating policy SOP 200.03 reminds researchers who receive any federal funding:
“every disclosure to an external funding agency of a faculty member’s active and pending sources of support for research and other sponsored activities be true, complete, and accurate to the best of the faculty member's knowledge. This requirement applies regardless of the source of support, [or] the official recipient of the source of support… False, fictitious, or fraudulent statements or claims (including intentional omissions) in violation of this policy may result in criminal, civil, administrative or University penalties.”
NIH Clarification of Other Support
How to Comply
Other Support must be disclosed according to the requirements in the NIH Grants Policy Statement. To assist in understanding NIH’s guidance, ORSP has developed an “Other Support” template and an “Other Support” template with examples and the following Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs).
References and Resources
For questions about the Other Support reporting process, contact ORSP. Main Phone: (734) 764-5500 answered 8:00 a.m. - 5:00 p.m., Monday-Friday.