A certificate of confidentiality (CoC) protects the privacy of human research subjects by prohibiting the forced disclosure of their individually identifiable, sensitive research information, records or data to anyone not associated with the research. For details, see the U-M HRPP Certificates of Confidentiality webpage.
- CoC Funding Quick Facts (PDF) One-page snapshot of key CoC information by funding/non-funding source. Last updated: 05/28/2021
- CoC Quick Facts for U-M Researchers This document provides U-M faculty and graduate students with quick facts about CoCs. Last Updated 05/19/2020
- HRPP Guidance: Protecting Participant Privacy and Maintaining Confidentiality of Data Outlines the privacy and confidentiality considerations and responsibilities for the investigator conducting research and the IRB in reviewing studies to protect participants of human subjects research, with links to resources. Last updated: 05/12/2020
- NIH Online CoC System User Guide Instructions and information to use the NIH online certificate of confidentiality system to request a CoC. (PDF)
- U-M HRPP CoC Application Instructions with Key Personnel Listing Template (Download) Provides instructions to prepare the CoC application package for U-M HRPP review prior to submission to the NIH; includes key U-M data required for the NIH online form and the Key Personnel Listing template. Last Updated: 02/14/2024