You are here
The University of Michigan (U-M) has policies in place for paid maternity and parental leaves as of September 1, 2018. Please visit the HR website and SPG 201.30-6 for more information on these policies and related HR processes.
The U-M Office of Research (UMOR) provides internal funds for extended sick time pay and leave for employees paid from sponsored funds. Charges related to Extended Sick Time Pay (staff and faculty) and Extended Leave (research fellows) are not allowable expenses on sponsored funds. The University maintains a central fund to cover these charges.
For Employees Paid From Sponsored Funds
Charges related to Extended Sick Time Pay (staff and faculty). Extended Leave (research fellows) and Maternity and Parental Leaves (staff, faculty, and research fellows) are typically not allowable expenses on sponsored funds. The University maintains a central fund to cover these charges. Note this is not applicable to individuals appointed to the Non-Instructional Sponsored Pool Account.
1. Eligibility Requirements
The qualifying illness/injury or pregnancy must be communicated by the University's Work Connections program, which provides authorization forms and confidential management of the event/condition while verifying the qualifying medical disability.
Work Connections will verify the qualifying medical disability, expected duration of absence and any work restrictions, and inform the employing unit which will determine the eligibility for the use of the Extended Sick Time, Extended Leave, or Maternity Leave.
The authority to grant Extended Sick Time pay/Extended Leave and Maternity Leave is a unit's responsibility.
The employee is required to submit appropriate medical documentation to Work Connections.
a. Employees in the time and labor system (Staff, Research Faculty, Archivists, Curators, and Librarians)
Employees in the time and labor system submit biweekly or monthly time reports to record their exception time. Extended Sick Time, Maternity Leave and Parental Leave, once approved by the unit, is recorded using the following time reporting/earnings codes:
- ESF - Extended Sick Full Pay
- ESH - Extended Sick Half Pay
- ESF/ESY - Extended Sick Full Pay (Nurses)
- ESH/ESX - Extended Sick Half Pay (Nurses)
- ESP - Extended Sick Two-Thirds Pay
- MRL - Maternity Leave
- PRL - Parental Leave
Payroll will automatically transfer all exception time reported for these codes on sponsored funds (funds 20000 and 25000) to the University fund.
b. Employees not in the time and labor system (Instructional Faculty, Clinical Faculty, and Research Fellows)
Faculty and Research Fellows do not submit time sheets so no exception time is recorded. The employing unit must request a retroactive salary transfer by submitting a "Request for Salary Transfer" form to the University Payroll Office. These requests must be submitted in compliance with the University's "Retroactive Salary Policy" and will be submitted as follows:
- Research Fellows - a single "Research Fellow Extended Sick, Maternity Leave, and/or Parental Leave Salary Transfer Request" form will be submitted at the end of the employees Extended Leave (maximum duration of 6 weeks), Maternity Leave (6 weeks), or Parental Leave (6 weeks).
- Faculty - a single "Faculty Extended Sick, Maternity Leave, and/or Parental Leave Salary Transfer Request" form will be submitted if the Extended Sick Time, Maternity Leave, or Parental Leave is less than 120 days. If the Extended Sick Leave, Maternity Leave, or Parental Leave is expected to exceed 120 days multiple "Request for Salary Transfer" forms will need to be submitted with a periodicity to remain compliant with the "Retroactive Salary Policy."
On a regular basis, the University will audit the individuals paid from the central fund against Work Connections' verifications of disability to ensure policy compliance. In instances of non-compliance the costs will be transferred to the employing unit.
Note - the employing unit is responsible for ensuring that all other HR actions associated with Extended Sick Time Pay (staff and faculty), Extended Leave (research fellows), and Maternity and Parental Leaves (staff, faculty, and research fellows) are performed in a timely manner (e.g. Family Medical Leave Act (FMLA) notification).
For more information please see the following Standard Practice Guide Policies: