You are here
Navigate: Advanced Budgeting - Department of Defense Budgets
Advanced Budgeting: Department of Defense Budgets
Navigate: Advanced Budgeting - Department of Defense Budgets application process is now closed.
Location: Wolverine Tower
The application process is now closed.
Course fee: $75 per participant
The Navigate: Advanced Budgeting - Department of Defense Budgets course is recommended for intermediate research administrators:
- with approximately two or more years of on-the-job experience;
- who have been exposed to and regularly produce basic budgets for sponsored research proposals;
- are familiar with various appointment types used in sponsored project budgets, including faculty (U-year and 12-month), staff, and graduate students;
- are familiar with how to calculate common budget elements, including indirect costs and modified total direct costs (MTDC).
This course is part of a series that exposes the participant through more advanced budgeting topics than those found in Fundamentals or Budgeting Basics. It is designed to provide immersive complex budget development and preparation training to the participant who is actively engaged in research administration on the job.
Based on class demonstrations and modeling, participants will apply techniques to build their own budgets with more complex elements and attributes. The participant will engage in class walk-through demonstrations, discussions of budget-building and problem-solving strategies typical in the process of proposal submission, and then work through reinforcing budget-development homework assignments.
By the end of this course, participants will build a complex Department of Defense (DoD) budget to meet exact-dollar requirements and keep the step-by-step documentation and Excel templates for use in developing similar budgets in the future. Budget attributes covered in this course include:
- common DoD budget attributes;
- meeting exact-dollar requirements;
- locating and documenting pricing information; and
- writing a successful DoD budget justification.
The course schedule is as follows:
Location: Wolverine Tower
Application and Requirements
Participants in this course will need to submit an application. The course design team members will evaluate readiness for participation in class discussions, budget building exercises and homework. Attendance is mandatory at all sessions. Since full completion of the course includes demonstration, homework, and review, "lab" time with instructors will be included.
Students should have experience preparing general budgets for sponsored research in their current U-M positions, with approximately two or more years of on-the-job experience. Alternatively, participants should have completed the Navigate: Fundamentals course, Budgeting Basics, former RAIN modules, or equivalent coursework focused on budget preparation for sponsored research.
How to Apply
- Submit a completed course application form
- There will be a limit of 20 participants.
- Ensure the applicant/participant will be permitted time to attend all class sessions.
- Support the participant with tasks assigned between sessions, including in-person meetings as necessary.
- Participate in training evaluations.
Selected Participant Requirements
- Attend all class sessions.
- Bring a fully charged laptop computer to each day of class.
- Complete all assignments.
- Participate in program evaluations.
- Applications will be reviewed by the Navigate Training Team to ensure completeness.
- The Navigate Training and Design Teams will review applications and select participants.
- Applicants will receive a confirmation email to let them know whether they have been selected.
- Up to 20 participants will be selected to attend this Navigate: Advanced Budgeting course.
The course fee is $75 per participant and includes:
- instructor-led sessions;
- course materials; and
- refreshments will be served.
Note: The fee is payable in advance using a shortcode.
Course Resources / Materials
- Canvas (canvas.umich.edu) will be used to store documents (presentations, job aids, handouts, templates), hold discussions, and post homework materials/assignments (when applicable).
- All session materials will be provided.
- Participants should bring a fully charged laptop to each day of class.
For questions on Navigate and other training initiatives, please contact the Training Team at email@example.com.