You are here
Related Content Links
- NIH Funding and U-M Research Impact (OVPR Website)
- NIH Data Management Sharing resources (OVPR Website)
- ORSP Other Support Resources (ORSP Website)
- ORSP Biosketch Guidance (ORSP Website)
- NIH eRA Commons ID Lookup (ORSP Website)
- NIH eRA Commons Registration (ORSP Website)
- NIH Public Access Policy (ORSP Website)
- RPPRs at U-M (ORSP Website)
- Standard NIH Due Dates (NIH Website)
- Frequently Asked Questions (FAQs) (NIH Website)
- Case Studies (NIH Website)
Sponsor-specific tools and resources for working with the National Institutes of Health (NIH)
NIH Grants Policy Statement
Visit the NIHGPS site for the latest version.
The National Institutes for Health (NIH) formally announced the salary cap for Executive Level II at $212,100 – an $8,400 increase, effective January 1, 2023. See NOT 23-056. Reference a history of Salary Caps(link is external) and refer to NIH guidance.
NIH Data Management & Sharing Policy
NIH now requires researchers to submit a Data Management and Sharing Plan (DMS Plan) with all new grant applications. This policy applies to all research, funded or conducted in whole or in part by NIH, that results in the generation of scientific data. There are a number of resources available to U-M researchers to help prepare for this policy change.
NIH GRANT-RELATED DATA SHARING COSTS
Data Management and Sharing (DMS) costs should be shared in the appropriate cost category, e.g., personnel, equipment, supplies, and other expenses, following the instructions and providing details as instructed within the applicable form (e.g., R&R Budget Form or PHS 398 Modular Budget Form). See full details in Notice NOT-OD-23-161.
Learn more about budgeting and direct costs on ORSP's Budget and Cost Resources page.
DMS Plan Oversight
In most cases, the DMS Plan oversight at U-M will be provided by the principal investigator (PI) and other study personnel. If help is needed, consider these resources:
- OVPR Research Data Stewardship page - NIH DMSP resources
- U-M Library - Research Guides - Research Data Management
- U-M Navigate Webinar - NIH Data Management & Sharing Policy (Nov 1, 2022)
DMSP Template and Samples
NIH Forms-H Application Package Resources
This U-M worksheet for FORMS-H is intended to help Research Administrators (RAs) collect the detailed data and scientific questions they will need from principal investigators (PIs) to more readily complete the PHS Human Subjects and Clinical Trials Information Form in the eResearch Proposal Management System (eRPM).
NIH Appendix Reminder
The only allowable appendix materials are:
For applications proposing clinical trials (unless the FOA provides other instructions for these materials):
- Clinical trial protocols
- Investigator's brochure from Investigational New Drug (IND), as appropriate
For all applications:
- Blank informed consent/assent form;
- Blank surveys, questionnaires, data collection instruments;
- FOA-specified items. (NOTE: If appendix materials are required in the FOA, review criteria for that FOA will address those materials, and applications submitted without those appendix materials will be considered incomplete and will not be reviewed.)
NIH, Uniform Guidance, and Prior Approvals
Refer to Federal Research Terms and Conditions, housed on the NSF website.
References and Resources
First, always read the guidelines of your funding opportunity or the award. Additionally, contact your ORSP Project Representative for sponsor-specific questions.
Help from NIH
National Institutes of Health (NIH) or electronic research administration (eRA) Service Desk. The preferred method is to submit a ticket on the NIH website (grants.nih.gov/support).
- Toll-free: 1-866-504-9552 (Press 1 for eRA Commons or ASSIST)
- Phone: 301-402-7469 (Press 1 for eRA Commons or ASSIST)
- Hours: Mon-Fri, 7 a.m. to 8 p.m. Eastern Time (closed on federal holidays)
Note that the Service Desk's busiest hours are between 10 a.m. ET and 3 p.m. ET.